Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Vacationing as Pandemic Wanes?

We were in Newport, Rhode Island for two nights.  We rented a very nice one bedroom apartment through Air BnB that put us in an easy walk of the oldest part of the town.  We parked the car and used our feet the entire time.

But here's what's crazy - we tried to ignore the fact that we were on the other side of Omicron and everyone else did too, almost everyone. We went maskless and no where were there signs to wear masks.  But then there were those with masks on:

The hostess in the restaurant we chose for lunch the first day.

People on the street including little kids in strollers.

One person in a party of the three entering a restaurant.

Our waitress in Annie's - a wonderful breakfast lunch cafe where we had lunch the second day.

A docent or two at The Breakers - Cottage of the Vanderbilts.

What do those masks mean? Are they unvaccinated and required to mask? Are they having symptoms?  Are they infected? Are they worried about getting Covid from us?

Driving home on Friday I wondered out loud to Dan. "Did we expose ourselves to Covid?"

Last night Dan wasn't feeling well.  I gave him a Covid test. Negative! 

Covid!  Will it always be a nag on vacation?

***

Photos will be shared later.

13 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I'm glad you were able to get away and have a little vacation. We went to Nevada and California last week. We have been wearing masks, even though we are vaccinated and boosted, but by the end of our trip, neither hubby or I were masking up. Neither was anyone else. I think we will all end up getting Covid eventually, despite vaccines and precautions. My son got it and even though he was in the same house with us the whole time, hubby and I didn't get it. We have more travel planned and will probably get the second booster sometime this summer. I hope you and your husband stay well.

Tom said...

...I'm not prepared for travel quite yet.

Marcia LaRue said...

I think masking is now a personal choice and some people do it out of consideration to the people they are around!

Fun60 said...

Most people have stopped wearing masks now in London. In Paris every person without exception wore them on the Metro and other forms of transport where mask wearing is compulsory. No-one wore a mask anywhere else though.

Frugally challenged said...

I still wear a mask when I go out. I'm fully vaccinated but I still want the extra safety. O keep hearing of people who have mild symptoms and go about their everyday business with no mask and it makes me very uneasy.

I visited Newport several years ago and really enjoyed it.

acorn hollow said...

the CDC say that if you have covid to quarantine for 5 days and then you can go out and about but wear a mask for 5 days. Because they may not be sick but can still spread it at that point. I wear a mask at work (I work retail) you would not believe the kids especially that come in sick, coughing like crazy. I wear a mask while shopping or in large crowds I just don't want to be sick. It has been nice to not get a cold in 2 years or the stomach bug for 2 years.
Cathy

Anvilcloud said...

I don’t think Omicron is waning. Many are getting it, but with vaccinations, most are not getting extremely sick. It’s also that no one is talking about it and politely ignoring it.

Vicki Lane said...

I continue to mask in the grocery store, but we actually ate in a restaurant for the first time since before Covid. Getting my second booster tomorrow.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It has been the same situation in the many places we have been, just locally. Masks are no longer a requirement in nearly all the stores and local library. Yes, people are still wearing them and, No, we are not. It's a personal choice now. It's nice that you were able to get away for a short trip, and unfortunately, there will be lingering doubts for some time to come if you return home and feel unwell. Glad that Dan is OK and that you are as well.

Gosia said...

your decorated eggs aare great my grandma made the same in the past. Now we only paiont them. Love from Poland

Cynthia said...

Pretty Easter eggs!
We still wear masks in stores, doctor’s office, physical therapy, etc. and so do many other people here. It’s not that much trouble and since there are no more convenient free testing sites in this state, the majority of cases are unreported. That means we have no idea how many people are walking around and contagious.

Bonnie K said...

I guess people just want to be careful. We were very careful on center, but once it got on campus it went like wildfire.

diane b said...

Because we are old and have health problems we still wear a mask in shopping centres. Our daughter also wears a mask in crowded places. I just don't want to get sick. There are people in our village who have caught it and it is possible that we can catch it we don't always wear a mask in the village. Those who get it suffer in different ways and we are all vaccinated. Some not very sick and others are quite bad. Glad you had a nice vacation.