Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Duped!

Last year I had several volunteer sunflowers seeded by the birds or squirrels in my yard. So this year when I saw these plants sprouting I thought more sunflowers. I even transplanted two of them to the vegetable garden because I thought they'd look nice against the fence. (Big mistake!) The one below appeared next to the house where sunflower seeds had been scattered during our big snow storms.

Below are sunflowers from my daughter's garden. There is some resemblance, don't you think?


I realized something was amiss when no flowers appeared, but I thought maybe it's a later variety. After visiting my daughter in NH and seeing hers in bloom I became even more suspicious of these plants. The clincher was when I spotted some along the roadside this past weekend. Trash trees! Oh, no! What had I done?

Today they all came out from their various locations. The roots were mighty, but I pulled them out with the help of a shovel.


The stems were hollow like bamboo.


Does anyone know what these trash trees are?

No comments: