Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Freezing Basil

I pulled up all the basil in the vegetable garden and picked the good leaves off of the plants. I have two plants left in the herb garden which I will leave until the frost gets to them.

I washed the leaves in the prep sink then ...

... put them in the salad spinner.

I coarsely chopped them in the food processor adding some olive oil to coat the leaves and ...
then put it all into one ziploc bag which I flattened as much as I could. This went into the freezer flat.
When I need some basil this winter I'll open the bag and break off a bit to use. How easy!

3 comments:

Pam's English Garden said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Thanks, also, for visiting my blog. I use Liquid Fence, too, to keep the deer away. It works for me. Pam

Lisa said...

Hey this is great, I was just looking at my basil thinking what am I going to do with you?

martha said...

Thank you! I've wondered how to preserve my basil. This is it!