Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, March 21, 2022

Successes with Instant Pot

 For those of you wondering what I've been making in the Instant Pot I got recently here goes.

One day I used the slow cook to make Hoisin Boneless Pork Ribs. This was an adapted recipe from my cookbook.  Nice feature of the Instant Pot is you can saute ingredients like onions and garlic then switch over to slow cook feature.

I started with one onion


Added garlic and ginger.


Recipe I was adapting called for Five Spice powder and hoisin sauce.


I used one pound of country style boneless pork ribs.


Dipped the pork into the sauce that was created from saute setting and then set the pot to slow cook for 5 hours.


Here are my notes on what I did so I'll remember next time.


Forgot to take a plated photo but here are the leftovers which I froze for another meal.


When I was in Buffalo I used my daughter's pot to make a variation of this dish.



And made this dish too.



Since coming home I've made this:


I used the pressure cooking setting and it was fast.


And this though since I had no green beans I used canned black beans.  This also was using pressure cooking setting.  It called for tumeric which I didn't have so I sent Dan to Emily's to borrow some.



I like to make notes in my cookbooks to help me remember if we liked the dish or not.  As you can see Dan did like this one.  It did make a lot! And even after having it for lunch one day I froze the rest.


I heartedly recommend getting the cookbook I'm using. For those who commented that they knew family members who had one but hadn't used it, get the cookbook for them.





















7 comments:

Tom said...

...looks good, we just have an old crockpot.

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad I just ate breakfast...these all look so delicious! Glad you got photos mostly!

Sue in Suffolk said...

I now have a craving for Chinese belly pork slices in hoisin - not had that for ages!
Note to self to add to shopping list

Bonnie K said...

Wow! You made a lot of different things. It sounds yummy.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Folks we know who have one of these appliances really enjoy it. Our problem is lack of space for yet another kitchen appliance. We have crockpots stored in the pantry along with the mixer and food processors (large and small). That said, it looks like you have prepared some great meals, marcia.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, my! Those all sound delicious. Makes me want an InstantPot.

Kay said...

This all sounds wonderful. I have wondered about getting an Instant Pot. Hmmmm...