Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, March 13, 2020

Our World is Shutting Down

I spent my four hour shift at Neighbor Ride today mostly contacting clients and drivers to tell them rides had been canceled and taking calls from clients who were told by doctors not to come in to offices.

Word came out about two hours into my stint that the county executive had ordered the library to close for two weeks and senior centers to close for 45 days.  That meant more calls to be made canceling rides that had been put into the system for the month.

A decision was made by the Neighbor Ride director in consultation with Office of Aging to limit rides for next two weeks to medical requests and then only those that had been requested as of today at 2 pm.  When I go in next Friday it will be to answer the phones and tell clients we can't take their requests.

Once I got home here to Vantage Point new restrictions have been placed on guests here:
No guests allowed in common areas.  So that means even the coffee machines are off limits.
No children under 14 allowed in the community at all.
Personal aides coming from outside contractors have to report to Wellness Center for health screening.  Common areas are off limits for them unless with a resident.

I read this op ed today that says to really slow the spread of this virus so that medical facilities can keep up we all need to stay put as much as we can.  

Wow! Our world is shutting down.

5 comments:

Tom said...

...if only we had a leader!

Fun60 said...

Many countries are introducing these measures. I am in Scotland at the moment. Everywhere is very quiet although i am avoiding anywhere that might be crowded. All we can do is be sensible and hope that a vaccination is developed before next winter.

Anvilcloud said...

Our town's common spaces like the library, pool, gym, seniors centre etc have now been closed.

Elaine said...

Wishing you all well.

Cynthia said...

I think the responsible thing to do is stay home unless absolutely necessary and I hope people will take it seriously and do just that. We are going to the the parks and beaches to walk, picnic, and keep from feeling trapped in the house. And of course there is always yard work to do! This is quite an historical event we are living through.