Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Two in a Row

It's unusual for me to read two wonderful books in a row. I recently raved about "The Thirteenth Tale" as one of my all time favorites. Well, I just finished another wonderful one: "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton.

I can't remember where I heard of "The Forgotten Garden" though I believe it was reviewed on NPR. Anyway this is a saga spanning three time periods: the turn of the 20th century, the 1970s and the present. A little girl of 4 years is placed in hiding on board a ship and told to wait there until the woman who put her there returns. Unfortunately she never returns and it's not until the end of the story that you find out why or even who exactly is this little girl. The little girl ends up in Australia alone until she is taken home and adopted by the man who finds her on the dock waiting after everyone has embarked. She doesn't learn of any of this until she turns 21. The book is her search, her grand-daughter's search and the saga of the woman who places her in hiding in 1913.

Look for it. You'll enjoy it.

No comments: