We joined the leaf peepers on Sunday to check out the leaf colors in Vermont. Our destination was Brookfield, Vt for a craft/farmers market with lunch options, at least that's what the notice said in a local online newsletter. It sounded promising and we knew the drive northwest on Interstate 89 would be gorgeous. The route has spectacular views of the Green Mountains to the west.
![]() |
| Not taken from the Interstate but looking at the Green Mtns. |
Well the leaf colors along the interstate were just okay but once we got off and took the backroads to the town the colors were more of what we've come to expect here in New England.
As to the town of Brookfield the first clue should have been the dirt road into town. It does have this going for it.
Yes, a pontoon bridge. We walked across it and later leaving town drove across it. It didn't move as I expected it to. I imagine earlier versions were probably very bouncy.
![]() |
| Those buildings are the extent of the town. |
Sorry I didn't take any other photos of the town. It was quaint but as to the craft/farmers market - disappointing. Very few vendors and the lunch option was soup from crock pots prepared by locals. I was expecting food vendors or food trucks.
Driving to Randolph, VT south of there we saw these lovely spots.
We were headed to The Forge a restaurant/pub that at the door had a sign that Sundays was half priced burgers. Perfect! And delicious! We may return some Sunday to Randolph for burgers.
Below is not the restaurant but an interesting barn I spotted for Tom, Backroads Traveler













1 comment:
That poor barn needs plenty of TLC. Marcia, you had a gorgeous day for your leaf peeking adventure. At the south end of Sodus Bay there is a floating bridge too, perhaps you have over it.
Post a Comment