Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Housing Shortage

 Our area has a housing shortage.  That’s why I can’t understand why there are vacant houses on our road.

On my walk today besides capturing this view of a gigantic field which in the past has been planted in corn but this year has something else growing …





… I captured the rhododendrons at this vacant house. 





I have heard it is owned by folks out of state. Possibly an inheritance. I’ve seen them there once. Otherwise it stands empty and decaying slowly. What a waste. 

But the rhododendrons are gorgeous!


Then there’s this house just 4 houses down from us. It’s been vacant since before we moved here. The rich folks who bought the farm bought it. Not clear what they intend. I believe that zoning requires that if you tear down a house it has to rebuilt on footprint within a year. I think there’s asbestos so that requires removal. 


All this was posted from my phone. 

10 comments:

Tom said...

...rural acreage here is often sold for the tillable land and the house has little or no value to the new owner. They let nature take the house down.

DrumMajor said...

Interesting mixture of problems. Wouldn't taxes still have to be paid on the house, and I guess the land? Linda in Kansas

Kay said...

Wow! I've never tried to post from my phone.

Gosh! You have a housing shortage too? That's surprising. Here in Hawaii we have a horrible housing shortage and high prices making it difficult for any young person to purchase.

Anvilcloud said...

It's probably our prime minister's fault because it is side on this side of the border that everything is.

Barbara Rogers said...

Same here in the western mountains of NC...housing shortage, especially for affordable places. Sad to see empty houses.

acorn hollow said...

I think the housing shortage issue is statewide and maybe country wide.
It is the price of the houses that are a big issue. It is really a sad thing.
Cathy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

When we lived on the VA eastern shore, we would see similar situations of once-lived in homes that were left abandoned. These you showed are in much better condition than those we saw. And, I also wondered why.

Faith said...

That little red house is adorable!! wonder how much it is!! I'd LOVE to retire to NH but hubby says no. ugh. he claims the property taxes are way too high. NOTHING can be as high as what we face here in NYS.

Vicki Lane said...

Sweet little red house!

Granny Sue said...

Both homes look so livable. How sad they are empty.