Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, September 30, 2023

Roman Villa Ruins in Almedinilla

These Roman ruins of a Roman villa date to the 1st century AD. 


The villa was destroyed when the Visigoths came.
Below is a drawing of the villa with a central courtyard.

Here is what exists now as the courtyard..



The floors are still exquisite mosaics.  I took lots of photos of these mosaic floors as you will see as you scroll on.


The ruins are totally under cover now with a raised walkway throughout to see it.








Above is the formal dining area.  A waterfall down that sluiceway in the back and a fountain came up through this center.




This picture in the museum represents how the dining area would have been used.




Grave stones above laying flat.
















The engineering of the water flow was amazing.  All of this disappeared with Visigoth invasion.
































We were told the story of the statue of  Hypnos that was found when these ruins were excavated. The mayor of Almedinilla took the statue and hid it behind his bed because he knew that it would end up in Madrid.  Once the museum was built  20 years later, the statue was brought out for display.


Somehow when the Visigoths smashed the statues they only managed to break off a hand of Hypnos.


This statue would have had prominent place in the Roman villa.


8 comments:

Tom said...

...perhaps our society is headed for the same fate.

Anvilcloud said...

I liked seeing the partial chess board most of all. I wonder how related it was to our modern game and wonder if it was chess at all.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure this was a very interesting visit, and I am glad that you took so many pictures to share with us.

Latane Barton said...

All I can say is WOW,.... what an interesting place.

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks for sharing this. Roman ruins are so fascinating to me.

Tracy said...

What an interesting site. It really gets the imagination going! Thanks for sharing.

stardust said...

What a nice visit! I love ancient ruins which set fire on my curiosity and imagination. Thanks for sharing with so many photos, Marcia.
Yoko

diane b said...

Wow that must have been an interesting visit. Just amazing how clever the ancient Romans were.