Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Halifax Good Eats

 


Vegetable paella a "small" single serving that could have served 3. The last time I had paella was in 2019 in  Barcelona.  It was terrible!  This was very good but just too much to eat in one sitting. Dan had a steak sandwich. A Spanish restaurant on the waterfront - pricey for lunch.



Dinner location away from waterfront. From the reviews it sounded like a place locals frequented and it was.


It was in a house dating from 1834, once belonging to William Henry, the Father of Confederation, and a judge on Canada Supreme Court. 


First a salad then seafood stew for me.  Dan had shepherd's pie. No photo of dessert - sticky toffee pudding.  Everything was so yummy.



The Wired Monk was our favorite breakfast stop. Bagel, egg, cheese, tomato, bacon and chilpotle mayo.  We also stopped in for an afternoon tea/coffee and snack. We never ate at the hotel.



We didn't try poutine on this trip.


The Bicycle Thief was a very popular spot on the waterfront.  Recommended by our taxi driver when we arrived Tuesday evening. We stopped by Wednesday afternoon to make a reservation for that evening and nothing was available until 9:30.  Check for Thursday night and same story.  Thursday we stopped just before noon and were seated quickly.  Restaurant filled after we arrived and got very noisy.

Dan had salad and shrimp [above] and I had salad and a lobster roll.

Overall I can't say it was as stunning as it was hyped to us.


Dinner Thursday was a small restaurant close to the hotel on the waterfront: Pier Pub. There's another restaurant attached to it: Chianti.  We'd seen the menu online but were first seated in the more formal dining room.  When we opened the menu we thought we'd come to the wrong place.  Nope we just needed to move to the pub side.


Dan had the best Caesar salad he's had and I had roasted vegetables and arugula salad.  We shared fish and chips which was wonderful. Oops - photo missed.


Dessert again no photos was lemon cheese cake and after dinner drinks.

My beer glass gave us a good laugh.




12 comments:

Tom said...

...being a rather simple guy, I'd go for the poutine.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I'm happy to see that Halifax treated you well!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never seen so many yummy dishes! I think we keep our meals simple here in the South so I would love to try some of these! What a fun trip!

Anvilcloud said...

Wow! That looks like a gastronomical delight. That must have put quite a dent in your wallet.

Latane Barton said...

Every single plate just made my mouth water. What great looking food! and that beer glass just gave me the giggles.

Barbara Rogers said...

Anything seafood...almost...just makes my mouth water. Calamari is my limit, and I'm not keen on clams or those cakes. But lobster, or all those morsels in your stew. And shrimp is a whole nother thing, sigh. Glad you found most of the food good for your tastes.

Kay said...

Oh gracious! That's the last time we had paella too! I love Canada. Looks like you're having some awesome meals. Yay!

Fun60 said...

The beer glass made me laugh. Lots of delicious looking food there.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I have never succeeded in taking a photograph of a meal; I just launch straight into the eating! Best paella I ever tasted was in a fishing village in Majorca.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Since we both enjoy seafood more than beef, we would have enjoyed all of the meals you showed in this post, Marcia. We had cheese cuyrds when we visited Wisconsin a few years ago, so we would have tried the poutine, even though not the healthiest choice we know!