Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Counting Down to Surgery - 3

 3 full days before surgery.

I picked up the meds I'll need after the surgery on Sunday after church.  I didn't want to have to wait until after the surgery to get them.  I'll just want to get home afterward.

++++++++++

Maple sugaring season is coming to an end.  We stopped by Mac's Maple in Plainfield, NH to do a taste test.  Yum!  We tasted fresh maple syrup and some aged in bourbon barrels.


We could smell sugar in the air.  That's steam coming from the sugar house.





Here's their large reverse osmosis machine that removes water from the sap before boiling thus speeding up the syrup production and reducing the amount of time and wood you need to make syrup.






As we were leaving more sap was arriving.



8 comments:

Buttercup said...

Take care and wishes for a good recovery.

Tom said...

...some traditionalists aren't fans of reverse osmosis.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Marcia, for sharing this post about your visit to Mac’s Maple in Plainfield, NH. My hometown is also in Plainfield, but in NJ😀 and there was definitely no maple sugar there. My brother has an upcoming birthday, so we may take a road trip to buy some maple syrup from Mac’s. Hope all goes well with the surgery this week.

DrumMajor said...

What an adventure from a little tree sap! Good luck with your surgery! Linda in Kansas

Barbara Rogers said...

Continuing good wishes for your surgery. Can't help but notice the maple syrup is sugary...a few letters different. So sweetness to accompany you through the procedure. And maybe some pancakes turned by another hand for a while!

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, as I understand it, the sap stops flowing once the nighttime temperatures don’t fall below freezing. I think it has been a good season here though.

Vicki Lane said...

Best wishes with the surgery!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We bought maple syrup from a local Mennonite farmer yesterday, made in the old-fashioned way, just as we always have and I am sure that's what we continue to do forever!