Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, January 16, 2023

My Father's Words

 My father was a Presbyterian minister.  He died in 2007.  At the time of my mother's death in 2013, my youngest daughter took home the file box with Dad's sermons, well some of them.  She thought she'd have time to read through them.  Work and motherhood prevented that so the box came to me. 

It wasn't until last fall that I got it out to find some sermons to send to my brother in law, Jerry, when he inquired about them because he wanted to help his pastor who had long Covid.  His thought was he could read them in her stead on several Sundays while she recuperated and the church found others to fill the pulpit.

She has since returned to ministering but was impressed with one sermon in particular and asked Jerry to give it this Sunday the 15th since she was going to be away.


If you want to hear him go to this YouTube link  and scroll to minute 35 for the sermon.

All my siblings tuned in live or later to hear our father's words.  It was very moving.

Thank you, Jerry.


6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I’ll skip the sermon but can appreciate how poignant it was for you.

Tom said...

...a wonderful legacy.

Fun60 said...

Did you remember your father giving that sermon?

Marcia said...

Marie, You asked if I remember my father giving the sermon and the answer is no. It was dated 1986 and I was married in 1974.

Barbara Rogers said...

It was a poignant thing for all the family members to bring forward your father's words. I'm sure everyone had a good sigh of satisfaction at remembering your father, with love coming through loud and clear.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As you said, Marcia, that surely was special for you and your family to hear your late father's sermon.