Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, December 19, 2022

Broken Record

 I've been trying to post every day since November 28th but I broke my record and missed posting Sunday.

I had extenuating circumstances.

We were hit by that big snow storm.  We got at least 18 inches. The storm started Thursday night and snowed through most of Saturday.  A heavy wet snow that brought down trees on power lines. 

Yep, we lost power Saturday at about 3 am.  I know because I had just gotten up to use the toilet and when I returned to bed and closed my eyes, I was aware of a bright light.  It was the emergency flashlight going on outside our bedroom door.  I looked at the clock and it was dark so I knew no power.

No power meant no heat, no water (we have a well) and no wifi.  

Dan woke at 4 am and went down with the flashlight to use my cell phone to report it.  We reported it again at 9.

What a "great" birthday present!

Emily and granddaughter #2 came at 9 to bring me birthday cards and an amaryllis.  She said they didn't have power but they do have a woodstove.  We went over there by 11:30 to warm up and have lunch.

I checked with the venue for Paula Poundstone and it was still on.  The restaurant was open so we were going to go no matter what.

Luck was on our side and the utility repaired the downed wires before 1 pm.  We had showers and headed north to St. Johnsbury VT for the show.

If you ever see that Paula Poundstone is coming to a venue near you, get tickets.  We laughed so hard for two hours.  She is so quick on the up take with her responses we were impressed. She involved the audience which was also amazing.

We arrived home after 10:30 pm and went to bed.

Sunday morning we slept later than usual but got out of here on time to see granddaughters in the Christmas Pageant at their church.

It's now Sunday night now and I thought for sure I had planned a post for today and sat down to write Monday's.  

Oh well, records can be broken.


Friday morning.


Friday mid-day


Saturday morning.


It was just above freezing when this photo taken so snow has slid off roof or Dan has scraped it off already.

Thank you for all the birthday greetings, friends.

8 comments:

Ana Dunk said...

So far we here in SE Michigan have dodged the bullet, aas we have had just a skiff of snow. However more is expected late this week just in time for Christmas and excruciating cold temps (high of 18 degrees for Christmas Day. I willl be going to my daughter's drafty old farmhouse, so will dress for warmth not for fashion.

Anvilcloud said...

We had the same storm or at least we also had a storm at the same time. We did not lose power but some people did but not for a short while I think.

Tom said...

...I wish that we had your lovely snow.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You certainly had a memorable 🎂present from Mother Nature, Marcia, and it was a lovely scene from your photos. Glad to read that despite the power loss, your plans to see Ms Poundstone perform worked out. Thanks for the heads up on the show and glad you had a happy day despite the start.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You certainly had valid reasons to miss posting for a day.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great birthday you had, after it looked so iffy. Cold house without elec. is no fun. Love Paula whenever I listen to the W show.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

That's a lot of snow and a very valid reason for not posting. Glad to hear you could still get out to your birthday treat.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday too and got to get out and have some fun. Sure looks cold and it's supposed to get cold here in a few days. Not as cold as you though! But we'll act like we're freezing! lol Thanks again for being such a sweet friend to me with your kind comments! Sweet holiday hugs, Diane