Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Walk Around the Yard and Plans

Monday morning I did a walk around the yard and took photos to share with you.

First here's the view of the field and hill to the west of us. Grass is green but no leaves on trees here yet.


At the bottom of our deck is this clump of daffodils planted by someone else.  I counted the blossoms - 20, so it's got to be at least that old.


Saturday was a good day to work in the yard.  I had Dan remove a large clump of day lilies that were mixed up with too much grass to be weeded properly.  I planted instead three day lilies I got from FedCo Seeds called "Simmons Overture",  They are supposed to grow to 24" tall with giant 6" blossoms in lavender-rose with dark purple eye zones.  When they bloom I'll share a photo.  I also transplanted a clump of Siberian irises and a clump of what I think is spider wort.  I still need to put rocks around the top side and mulch that new little bed.


Here's a new face in the yard from one of the bulbs I planted last year.


Here's another.  Both of these are in that little bed.  Daffodils and day lilies go well together because the foliage of the day lily covers the drooping foliage of the daffodils.


Across the yard is this new bed created last year when we had the hemlocks limbed up.  It's where my Inukshuk is still standing without adhesive.  Look carefully and you'll see 6 holes where I plan to plant 6 humongous Hosta I purchased from FedCo.  I need to think of a better name for this garden.  Maybe Inukshuk Garden or Rock Sculpture Garden as I plan to try my hand at more rock sculptures.


We cleaned out the compost bin and Dan dumped the compost in that bed for me to use in planting.


In the back Hosta Garden the first Hosta is showing up.


So is this ligularia. I hope I get some volunteers of this one from the seeds it put out last year.


Pansies from last year wintered over.


Wild ginger, I think, is showing itself.


And lamb's ear survived the winter.  Not shown are two purple heucheras that survived.  One yellow one did not.


This bluebird box is new to our yard.  Emily had it but it was too close to her apple trees so I took it and placed it on the property line.  Saturday I spied a female bluebird near the deck and a male sitting on this box.  They have a lot of boxes to choose from [unlike human house hunters - tight house market here].



In the garden next to the deck, the white irises that Blogger Vickie Lane sent me are growing.


The peonies are getting bigger.


I still need to clear off leaves and see what is showing up in this front bed. Last year there was a fence dividing this bed and the view into our yard from the street.



In the front yard the beds next to the porch will undergo an overhaul this spring.  I want to move the hosta out and add lavender and annuals.  I want to widen them a bit too,



Looking into the yard from the front that propane tank is such an eye sore.


We did plant a juniper on the deck side of the tank to block our view of it from there. We had the tank moved away from the house because snow got trapped behind it and was rotting out the clapboards.  I wish we could paint it.



So as you can see Spring is still a work in progress here.
 

8 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Spring is coming to us too Love seeing the daffodils this time of year.
Cathy

Tom said...

..things are popping here too.

Anvilcloud said...

I had to refresh the page bc I didn’t have a post comment option at first. Anyway, big place with much work. You must be very fit and energetic.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It should all look wonderful in a few weeks when everything has put on a bit of height. I hope you'll keep us all posted.

Rajani Rehana said...

Lovely post

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Reading this post and seeing your photos, Marcia, reminds me that we would have been doing similar projects at our former homes in NJ and VA. Some days we miss it, others not. Thanks vfor sharing your yard here and I didn't have to do any work!

Cynthia said...

I hope you get some bluebirds nesting. I love your frilly daffodils!