Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Sculpture Garden

Last Fall I ordered  a "Humongous Hosta Mix" for Fedco Seeds. The description said they would choose six of the biggest hostas they could get their hands on.  Total cost + $34.50.  A good deal!

The shipment arrived in late April, I potted them in potting soil temporarily and last Friday I planted them in the Sculpture Garden bed below.  See the holes. The black mound in the front is a pile of compost which I added to each hole. The collapsed inukshuk sculpture is still there too.  I did get landscape adhesive to put it back together.

All the hosta plants looked healthy but this one was already putting out leaves. It's Olive Bailey.  Eventually it will reach 30" tall and 60" wide.


Photo below from the internet.


Here are the other varieties I received.  Again photos from the internet.

Blue Umbrella 

32" tall 48" wide



Snake Eyes
30" tall 48" wide


T-Rex
30" tall 80" wide


Earth Angel

30" tall 40-60" wide


Guardian Angel
30" tall 40" wide


I also got three of this variety which I planted closer to the front of the beds.

Velvet Moon
24" tall and 36" wide.
I may have planted them a little too close but there is room to space them out once they mature.


Here's a volunteer I found near my compost bin.  Turns out its black cohosh also a shade loving plant.  I put it into the bed too.


Temperatures warmed on Monday and will continue to climb all week into the 80ºs.  time to purchase some annuals to fill some pots and bare bed spaces.

7 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I have most of those hostas I love them as we are pretty shades here and they are a easy plant to maintain
Cathy

Tom said...

...the new hostas are smashing!

Anvilcloud said...

It should be quite a showing in time.

Barbara Rogers said...

Hostas are such pretty plants, you get to enjoy their variegated leaves all summer, and then just a week or so of blooms. These seem like excellent choices for your shady area.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like you are off to a good start in your garden. We had freezing temperatures last night, so I haven't started planting anything yet. Maybe by this weekend...
See you again soon!

Fun60 said...

I look forward to seeing how your sculpture garden develops. I like the variety of hostas you have planted.

Faith said...

i love hosta!! yours are going to be lovely! I just have mine around/under our front cherry tree and the other cherry tree in the front has periennial flowers and some wildflowers. I love flowers but due to teaching full time I keep my gardens simple....mostly wildflowers and tulips and 2 rose bushes. HAPPY SPRING