Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Breakers - Faces

 The Breakers - the 70 room cottage of Cornelius Vanderbilt II - was started in the spring of 1893 and finished in the summer of 1895.  Total square feet: 138,300!

This is the first of three posts.

What struck me right away were the faces.  Here are a few that peered at me.














And Cornelius himself:

He enjoyed this house for only four summer seasons.  He had a stroke in 1896 and then a second one in 1899 which killed him just before he would have celebrated  his 56th birthday.  His wife whom he had married in 1867 and who bore him seven children summered at The Breakers until her death in 1934.

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

When a 70-room mansion is called a cottage, you know you are in a different tax bracket. 😀

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, what a place! Ample square footage, but I am not sure I would want all of those faces looking at me as I went about my day. Interesting place and interesting post.

Tom said...

...opulent!

Kay said...

Thank you for sharing your awesome photos, Marcia. I love your Easter eggs too. Have a very happy Easter!

Cynthia said...

I didn’t know “70 room” and “cottage” could be in the same sentence! I’ve never seen anything like that blue porcelain fireplace before.