Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

New Garden Art

 We have a lot of rocks in our soil as we have discovered with the grading work we had done last year. It's the nature of this land and why stone walls are so prevalent.


I've always wanted to make a First Man  or Inukshuk [Wikipedia] after we saw them in Glacier National Park and in Banff in 1999.

Here's a magnet from Canada as a small example.

On our 1999 trip we hiked the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park and there were these statues all over the place. I made this one while I sat and enjoyed the scenery.

Sunday I finally made one for the garden. Sorry there's no sense of scale but it's over two feet tall.


I wanted to build it before I planted a wide variety of Hosta in this bed. I didn't have cement and hope it stays up.  It fell multiple times as I attempted to get it all balanced. The largest stones were very weighty.


12 comments:

Tom said...

...I love your Inuksuk. You could get a tube of landscape adhesive and glue each piece together.

acorn hollow said...

I have never seen them as a man the ones in towers form on the hiking trails are to keep hikers on the trails in the fog and snow. Mt Washington has them all over.
cathy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh I love it! I like finding things like this on the trails we hike. It always makes me stop and appreciate the effort someone made! Enjoy your day.

Anvilcloud said...

Sue has one of white rock in the back. I wonder if it will require repairs after the winter.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Getting the Inuksuk to remain upright might be challenging with all the windy weather we've been having in NH these past few weeks. Perhaps the application of some cement or adhesive would be a good long-term solution. I have seen these on trails we've hiked, but never constructed one myself.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

How pleasant to meet Mr (or is it Mrs) Inuksuk. There's a very nice one standing outside the Scott Polar Museum in Cambridge. There's a photo of him somewhere on my blog.

DrumMajor said...

Something new for me! I'd never seen or heard of them before. Kinda cute. It would make me wonder all about the person who set it up. Would a deer or bear knock it over? Linda in Kansas

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Marcia, to answer your question about the distance between nashua, NH to Sudbury, MA, our trip was less than 1 hour. if you get the chance for a road trip, it would be well worth the adventure.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful little guy/gal! There are cairns all over in our mountains...usually piled by streams or even in the middle of them. There are so many it kind of looks like a graveyard when you come upon a great group of them all standing there. They kind of detract from the natural scene, and these days people are encouraged to not make them because they no longer actually indicate trails, unfortunately.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I love it!

Cynthia said...

I love your little stone sculpture and it’s going to look even more fun with plantings around it. We come across them on hikes now and then and it’s always fun to find one. The daffodils in your header are glorious!

Bonnie K said...

I have making one of those little guys on my to do list. I love them. Yours turned out perfect. Thanks for sharing.