Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Mom's Birthday

Today, December 7th, my mom would have been 103 years old.

She was the youngest of 6 children and grew up in Lancaster, PA.




She met my dad at a church picnic when they were teens.






She in turn had six children, 2 boys and 4 girls.  I'm number 4 and the second sister.


She loved to garden both vegetables and flowers.  Here she is with me at the Philadelphia Flower Show in 2011 or 2012.


Our last Thanksgiving with her was at our home, The Lodge in the Fall of 2012.  She always had a hand at preparing the meal.






Here she is with my daughter, Sarah, in her kitchen at Penn Hall retirement community.


Her last residence was an assisted living apartment in the spring of 2013. She took up painting in her 60s and some of her paintings are on the walls around her.


She left us on September 26, 2013 at almost 95 years.

I still miss her!

 

11 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

We always miss our mums. Yours was very pretty but she looks as though she was warm and loving too.

Tom said...

...a pretty lady to always have in your heart.

Elaine in Toronto said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom. Always remembered, always loved.

Anvilcloud said...

What a fine retrospective of a beautiful woman who lived a long life.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for telling us about a beautiful lady... and that she lived such a fulfilling life. Of course you have wonderful memories of her, and it's always nice to share them here.

Fun60 said...

You never forget your mum. You have some wonderful photos to help relive all the times spent together.

Marcia LaRue said...

She was quite a lovely lady! Thanks for sharing her with your readers!
My sister is 80 today!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a very nice tribute to your late mother, Marcia, and it was so nice to see all the photos as well. My mother passed away 7 years ago at the age of 93 and right before Christmas and I also still miss her.

Bindu said...

You showed your mom through the pictures! Amazing to know she started painting at the age of 60! What an inspiration!

Bonnie K said...

Thank you for sharing. She has such a twinkle in her eyes.

Cynthia said...

My mom is 94 and has been in a rehab center for almost two months now after a fall. I don’t know if she will ever be able to go home again. And boy, does she want to! I’m sure you really miss her at this time of year.
Hey, I have a daughter Sarah, too!