Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Come for a Drive

 Last Thursday, the 2nd, I told Dan I'd like to take a drive to the White Mountains if the weather was going to be clear.  (Last winter we attempted this but it was snowing and we had to turn back. [Post here on that attempt.]) As so often happens my idea was not original and he'd been thinking the same thing.  Happens often in our house that I read his mind.

Friday's forecast was good so we set the GPS for the Kancamagus  Highway which is reported to be the best route in NH to see fall foliage.  Not being fall anymore around here we knew we'd have the road to ourselves.  To get there from here it's northeast as the crow flies, but by auto requires going north, east, south, and even west sometimes.

We set out and passed two barns I've always admired in Enfield.



 Then in Canaan got a view of Mount Cardigan. 


We had to weave our way through valleys.


We entered the Kangamagus Highway at the western end in Lincoln I think it was, and headed east entering the White Mountain National Forest. The road started to climb.






We knew it was cold outside by the snow and ice.  The wind was fierce so we didn't linger at many of the overlooks.




Once we passed this marker the road headed down to Conway where we had lunch.











After lunch we put in a destination of the Mount Washington Hotel and Resort one of only two remaining from the hey day of hotels in the area.






The hotel was not on the east side of Mount Washington as we thought and to get to the west side we drove through Crawford Notch.









Aw, here it is,


and what a view of Mount Wshington.



The weather observatory is just visible.


The last time we were on Mount Washington was the summer of 2001.  We drove up. We had been up twice before that. In 1983 by the cog railroad and in the 70s we drove up after backpacking in the mountains.  I'd like to return to the hotel and take the cog railroad up again. Someday.

Hope you enjoyed the drive.

10 comments:

Tom said...

...what a gorgeous drive. when I was a boy we went on the cog railroad. what an experience. I love the barn connected to the house, it was a common feature in New England.

Anvilcloud said...

What an area you live in! Having moved from a more southerly location, you must find that enduring winter is worth it.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great photos from your drive...I stopped to look harder at several of them, starting with the beautiful barns. They each have that lovely cupola on their roofs, now I wonder why. Such a great view of Mt. Washington!

Marcia LaRue said...

Wow! Such beautiful country and that hotel is gorgeous with Mt. Washington as a backdrop!
Thanks for the drive thru ... It's the only way I could ever see any of that area.

Cynthia said...

Nice the weather cooperated and you had a beautiful, clear drive. I love those huge barns in your first photos. I’ve never seen such big ones. And wonderful they are kept up and preserved.

Bonnie K said...

Beautiful. The roads looked good. You covered a lot of ground. Thanks for sharing.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Thanks for taking us along this drive with you. Although the sky looks lovely and seeing the snow and ice is brilliant and I glad we did not linger too much in the cold wind Marcia. Have a great week ahead.

Bindu said...

It is an amazing drive! thank you for sharing all the wonderful photos!

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for taking us along--I really love those barns.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We too have enjoyed riding on the Kanc as it’s known. The Mt Washington is one of the few remaining grand hotels, but our favorite in that area is the Mountainview Grand which we have stayed in several times and would highly recommend if you consider a stay in that area.