Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, July 15, 2021

To the Movies


Last Saturday evening we had an early dinner in Hanover, NH at Molly's then headed next door to the Nugget Theatre to see  "In the Heights" by the creator of Hamilton.  It was great!  Loved the singing and dancing and the story line.  Go if you get the chance.


But here's something unusual about this theatre: it's owned by the Hanover Improvement Society.  All proceeds go to the town of Hanover.  This happened in 1922.  


It was small theatre - there are 4 screens.  Seats a bit close to front and I did get a crick in my neck from looking up.  Next time we'll know to get the last row seats.  And for Covid precautions every other row taped off and two seats between you and next person.  Can't remember the last time I saw a movie in a theatre, can you?



 

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Looks quaint and appealing. No, I can't remember. Might have been a Star Wars movie three Christmases ago.

Tom said...

...I'm not ready to go to the movies yet!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That movie sounds good. We haven't been to see a movie in a theater since the summer before last. Usually, there is nothing I really want to see, but I have heard a little about that movie and it sounds excellent.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great entertainment. I have the same problem in small theatres with my neck...but I avoid crowds anyway because sometimes my cough just comes up and ruins it for me (chronic, not much control.)

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'm not the least bit interested in films, though when I worked as a carer I often took the young people that I looked after to children's films. I guiltily admit that I rather enjoyed some of them! It's a pity that more old-style cinemas could not have been saved before the multi-screen complexes moved in.

Kay said...

We still haven't gone to a movie theater and we still haven't seen Hamilton either. I have one friend in Chicago who has seen it 3 times.