Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, March 26, 2021

Shutter Project Completed


We have all these old shutters in our barn. This photo taken before I did a culling.  Some were in too lousy shape to hope to do anything with them.

 


I did select one to scrape with a wire brush, and then wash thoroughly.  Amazing how much dirt accumulated in the maybe 100 years since these were on the house.  These were in the part of the barn where the 1906 newspaper was found.



I had to give it three coats of white spray paint.


Then I laid the letters for Spring on and spray painted green.


That took only one coat.  Lifting off the letters I didn't think the letter edges were clear enough.


So I used a black sharpie to outline the letters.


I got out the glue gun and added some silk flowers. 


I like how it turned out.  Now it's on my front porch for all to see.


The porch needs some pots of pansies but I'm finding that those are not for sale yet.  They would be if I was still living in Maryland.

Now to make one for daughter Emily.  I have other plans for shutters including an angel.

11 comments:

Tom said...

...you sure are crafty! Happy Spring.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The silk flowers added the perfect touch! Happy Spring! Enjoy your day!

Anvilcloud said...

I am impressed. Fab idea and great job.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I like that - very clever!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's always great when things can be recycled and with some added new touches turn out quite functional and decorative as well. A bit of work but worth it in the end.

Marcia LaRue said...

Such a clever idea and a great way to repurpose those shutters! Good job!

Vicki Lane said...

What a nice thing to do with those old shutters! Will there be one for each season?

Barbara Rogers said...

You win the "clever homesteader" of the day prize. Good idea, well done indeed.

Cynthia said...

It looks lovely. And it’s part of the history of your home, repurposed!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Very creative Marcia. I hope you have a great week ahead

Kay said...

You did an amazing job, Marcia. That looks so cheerful and pretty. It's a lovely way to acknowledge the season.