Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Making Pillows

 I have two t-shirts and one sweatshirt that I bought on three different vacations.  What they have in common is embroidery.  The sweatshirt was a favorite and as with many favorite pieces of clothing got too much use and stains.  The embroidery was still very nice so I kept it.  Same for the shirts. Then the idea came to me to make them into pillows.  At first I thought I would cut out the embroidered part but then realized the fabric was fine for making the pillows.

The sweatshirt from Montana


A t-shirt from Alaska


Inside view of embroidery from Victoria, Cananda

I don't know how long I have held on to this idea but since moving to NH I realized I should go ahead and tackle this project.  With advice from daughter Emily who surpasses me with her sewing skills and borrowing one of her sewing machines, 


I have completed one pillow.  Here's the back. I overlapped the bottom edges of the front and back of the shirt to make it a pocket pillow.


And the front.  


I think when finished these will end up on our bed.


10 comments:

Tom said...

...I've always wanted to visit Butchart Gardens!

Anvilcloud said...

I am pleased to see the last pillow. The Butchart Gardens are amazing, and we almost didn't go.

Fun60 said...

I would never have guessed that used to be a tee shirt. A good example of up cycling.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh, and now I'll have to look for the gardens. Great idea for the pillows! I've been to the two Montana locations, and I also love embroidery...so I salute you for keeping these momentos and crafts-womanship around.

Margaret said...

What a great idea--and a wonderful way to hold on to those memories!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What a clever idea! I'm doing well if I can sew on a button.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great idea, Marcia, and now you will have visible and comfortable reminders of the places visited.

Cynthia said...

Fun reminders of good memories + recycling = winwin! You did a nice job.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! What a great idea! I'm just going to take a gander at our t-shirts and see if there's anything worth cutting up.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love it.... Your pillow turned out great... Now--you have more to do!!!!!

We have t-shirts from most everywhere we have visited through the years... I want to take the logo on some of them --and have someone make us a quilt... I've thought of that idea for years --but now, you've inspired me to check it out...

Hugs,
Betsy