Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Our Barn

We have had light snow off and on for a couple of days.  It freshens up what snow is laying on the ground.  It also hides the ice unless you know where it is.

On this Friday afternoon we dressed warm to walk in the field behind our house.  Granddaughter was over and wanted to see the barn again.


In she went with Papa and I followed.  It smelled like a skunk had visited.


I haven't taken an inventory on what was left behind for us.  The previous owner gave us a list.  This large wash tub was on that list.


In the fourth space on the first floor lots of gardening tools have been left.


Upstairs is a semi finished space complete with ceiling fan and world map - see it on the wall under the window.  I want to put a ping pong table here.  Granddaughter was lobbying for a pool table.  She remembers that there was one at the retirement community where we used to live in MD.


Looking out the door up our driveway.


Not sure what kind of key would work in this lock hanging by the door.


There's lots of work to be done to the barn but it's part of being stewards of this bit of history.


Looking back at the barn and the house from the field where we took our walk around.  The red paint never was finished on the back.  Our neighbor's barn seen to the left of ours looks immaculate from the front but the back is in worse shape than ours.
 


On the far side of the field is a bridge over to very tall old blueberry bushes.  We will pay our neighbor and pick blueberries this summer.



10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

How cool to have that.

Tom said...

...it is huge! This spring I am finally going to plant some blueberries!

Barbara Rogers said...

That's a super barn...and you can certainly do lots with it!

Cynthia said...

Lots of interesting old things in that barn and I can see why your granddaughter wanted to explore. It will be a fun place to play in the summer. Hooray for the blueberry bushes, right in your backyard! You will really enjoy those.

Margaret said...

Very cool to have a barn! Blueberries are my favorite, but the ones that I can pick along my summertime walks are blackberries. They are everywhere.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

What a magnificent old barn.

Bonnie K said...

What a wonderful adventure it will be exploring.

Kay said...

What an amazing place you're now living in. It's so different from your Maryland community. This is so much fun!

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Marcia. And what a fine barn!

Linda said...

I am in awe that you moved from a retirement community to a farm!