Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

New Snow

We had about 2 inches of snow last night.  It freshens everything up, covering tracks, and snow piles.

Our street gets plowed and sanded but the main state road gets salted so you can see its clear there in the background.

My footprints to get the morning paper were not the first.  I saw possibly cat prints that had stopped on our porch and then headed to the neighbor's yard.

 

In the backyard the trees have a lacy dressing of snow and the birds are busy at the feeders.




Inside, my benign neglect of the poinsettia is working out just fine.  I water it only once a week.  It looks as good as when I first purchased it.



One thing I've learned since moving north from Maryland is how to dress for the cold. Lots of layers even inside the house.   I purchased long underwear, a warmer coat, boots that fit better and are insulated for the cold, warmer gloves, flannel shirts and a warm sweater.  I wear a hat when I go out even if it electrifies my hair and flattens it.

For an old house this place is well insulated. We keep the thermostat at 69 during the day and 66 at night. The coldest spot is in the great room which is farthest from the furnace.  We also have the benefit of passive solar and enjoy the warmth of the sun streaming through the south facing windows.  I was surprised on Monday how warm the clothes got that I'd laid out to fold on the guest room bed.  They were in the sun soaking up the heat.

This place is feeling like home.

6 comments:

Tom said...

...yep, layers are the key!

Margaret said...

Snow is so beautiful and serene! That said, I would prefer it to stay in the mountains. Layers are the way to go, as long as they are substantial ones.

Cynthia said...

It’s wonderful that your new home is warm and cozy and beginning to feel like home. The new snow is so pretty. We’ve had another three days of gloomy clouds and rain. Tired of that!

Barbara Rogers said...

Good to see beautiful snow scenes there. We've had some nice weather for a couple of days, was able to walk in sweater sleeves. But another front is about to drop cold and rain...and the mountain tops may get snow. So I'll wait till Fri. before my next walk. Tomorrow is definitely an inside all day kind of day.

Anvilcloud said...

We had a similar snow, perhaps a little bit more. It was a light and pretty one.

Vicki Lane said...

A light snow here last night-- keeping my layers on!