Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Two Covered Bridges and a Sad Tale

 On a Sunday drive last weekend we went north along the Connecticut River.  When the main road veered away from the river we took a left to follow some narrower roads and even some gravel roads to stay closer to the river.

We came upon this lovely covered bridge.

Unfortunately there were no signs to tell us anything about its age.


What was interesting were the cables extended from its sides.

Did it really need tethering?



This stream emptied into the Connecticut, there to the far left.  That's a Vermont hill in the distance.

Tree colors seem muted but my eyes saw them as brighter.

I played with iPhoto color saturation and it made it brighter.  More like what I remember seeing.

I've digressed, sorry.  

We visited another bridge but alas this one is no more. It once crossed the Connecticut River at this point.


It's a very small state park, used primarily as a boat launch on the Connecticut which is much narrower here.




Here's the sad tale.


If you can't read the above, the end of the story is that the bridge had been restored and opened again on July 22,1979.  Then came a mighty windstorm and destroyed the bridge on September 14, 1979!  No attempt has been made to replace the bridge again.  Lesson learned?  Maybe this explains the tethers on the other bridge?




8 comments:

Margaret said...

I love covered bridges! That was swift retribution by Mother Nature. I can never get the colors the way I see them; perhaps I don't play around with my photo settings as much as I should.

Tom said...

...covered bridges are a part of history, they are beautiful.

Jean said...

I love covered bridges but we don't have them here. I have seen them in Pennsylvania which has the most of any state and a friend bought me a teatowel picturing many bridges including two in Vermont and two in Connecticut but none in PA. Thank you for sharing those lovely photos.

Fun60 said...

I do love the covered bridges.I saw a few when I was in New Hampshire in 2017.

Kay said...

This is so much fun. I do sometimes use Photoshop or my iPhone features to bring a photo closer to what I remember. I remember one trip we made in Indiana looking for different covered bridges. I think they are so cool. How sad about that last bridge.

Anvilcloud said...

A phone enver captures what you see. I wrote a blog about this. :)

That bridge didn't last long after being restored. It reminds me a a roof (or part of one) that I rebuilt with a friend. After it was completed, I went to his place to help out with one of his jobs. I got a phone call that a tree had just fallen on the roof.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful, iconic covered bridges, and with the fall colors — well, Wow! I would have thought the danger to them to be from flooding rather than wind. So sad about that last one. What a disappointment that must have been to those involved in rebuilding it in 1979.

Buttercup said...

So sad, but so enjoying your New Hampshire photographs. Please keep them coming.