Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Rollins State Park

 One Saturday in late July, we set out to take a hike that I'd read about in Yankee magazine. The description made it sound like a doable first hike for us as new residents of New Hampshire. And it was doable, but not as we expected.

First we didn't realize that we needed to make a reservation to enter the park and drive to the trail to take us to the summit of Mount Kearsarge.  We found that out when we arrived. So since we had our lunch with us we started to eat it and wait for cars to leave so we could enter.  We would be the second in line.  We expected a fairly long wait since the attendant said there had been few cars down.   It wasn't so long and in fact we had to gather up our lunch and take it with us when she gave us the sign to go up.

The second surprise was the trail.  Described in the magazine write up as a former carriage road we expected a gravel or dirt pathway up the mountain. Does this look like a carriage road to you?



It was a 300 vertical feet climb for over a half a mile.  I was glad for hiking shoes and my L.L. Bean hiking stick.

Here's the summit.






Like many mountain tops in NH it's bald.  Devoid of most trees not because it's above tree line, just no soil for trees to grow.








On the trail besides people and dogs were these little motorized vehicles.



It was a lovely day for a hike.


8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You found a great spot and had a bit of an adventure.

Tom said...

...it's a rocky world.

Marcia LaRue said...

The hike would kill me but the ensuing vistas ... breathtaking! LOL Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia said...

That’s a rough trail! What a view, though. Well worth the climb I’m sure. I wonder what the point of the little motorized vehicles is — to see if yours can make the climb? Never seen them on a trail.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We haven't been to the Rollins State Park, but did know that reservations are needed for state parks. Glad you were able to get in and that sounds and looks like quite an adventure, Marcia. We know to always wear our hiking shoes when going on hikes anywhere here in NH. We haven't been to the Flume Gorge but maybe one day. You also have to make a reservation for a certain time and then pay online and there's also a charge for the online transaction! I will be posting my write-up on the mutual place we visited next week.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I've heard about "balds" from reading accounts of the Appalachian Trail, but those photos bring this odd phenomenon to life. I suspect that water running off from the mountain top has found that old road and eroded it to its present state. Well done on making the rough way to the top; the views must have made the ordeal worthwhile.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Looks like it was nice day and the views worth the hike. Did not realise you had moved to a new blog

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi, Oh Yes---that looks like the old carriage roads in these mountains... I've seen videos of the pioneers pulling their covered wagons over those area.... YIPES.

I'm enjoying seeing your visits to your 'new' area... I cannot wait to see your area in the FALL..... New England is the BEST.... Someday I'll get up there!!!!

I read yesterday in one of my travel emails about the best STATE Park to visit in New Hampshire. I'm not sure whether you have read about this or seen this yet--but the name is Franconia Notch State Park (in the White Mountains)... Looks neat!!!!

Have an awesome Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy