Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

A Poem for the Times

Pandemic

by Lynn Ungar
What if you thought of it
as the Jews consider the Sabbath—
the most sacred of times?
Cease from travel.
Cease from buying and selling.
Give up, just for now, 
on trying to make the world
different than it is. 
Sing. Pray. Touch only those
to whom you commit your life.
Center down.
 
And when your body has become still,
reach out with your heart.
Know that we are connected
in ways that are terrifying and beautiful.
(You could hardly deny it now.)
Know that our lives
are in one another’s hands.
(Surely, that has come clear.)
Do not reach out your hands.
Reach out your heart.
Reach out your words.
Reach out all the tendrils
of compassion that move, invisibly,
where we cannot touch.
 
Promise this world your love–
for better or for worse,
in sickness and in health,
so long as we all shall live.
 
Here's a link to her blog: Lynn Ungar 3/11/20
My sister-in-law sent this out.  

4 comments:

Tom said...

...we need to find pleasure is simple things.

Anvilcloud said...

Maybe we will reach out in better ways now or some better ways.

Gosia said...

great poem stay healthy

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Thanks so much... I think that GOOD will come out of all of this... George and I laughed this morning --thinking about the younger generations and how they have never struggled with life at all... I don't know about you --but I used CLOTH diapers with my first son (born 1963)... When people rain out of toilet paper years ago, they used a wash cloth if necessary!!!!! Life went on!!!!!!

SO--hopefully, this will encourage this young, selfish generation to do more for others (and not just themselves), and to appreciate life more and to appreciate the little things that we all take for granted....

Things happen for reasons!!!!!! We shall see what people say after this is OVER.

Hugs,
Betsy