Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Volunteering

I spent the morning at Neighbor Ride, the 9 am - 1 pm. shift.

Being Valentine's Day Neighbor Ride drivers were to show the love by having their magnets on their cars.  Here's one of the staff person's van plastered with magnets.


This is a service for seniors by offering rides at low costs to any place, shop, appointment, class, etc they need to get to and from within a 35 mile radius of their home.  I used to volunteer as a driver,  but when we reduced our auto count from two to one, I inquired how else I could help.   The answer was to be a ride coordinator.


I learned the computer program for scheduling ride requests, soliciting drivers to fill those requests, answering the phone and answering questions.

It was a busy morning today with the phone ringing a lot.  Fortunately I'm one of a team of 3 or 4 when I'm there.  I had a chance to wish countless seniors a Happy Valentine's Day, too when I called to let them know the name of the driver for their rides tomorrow and in the week ahead.


What do you do as a volunteer?

3 comments:

Tom said...

...sounds like a GREAT service.

diane b said...

Well done for volunteering. I volunteer as a tutor for the University of the Third Age. Classes for seniors.

Fun60 said...

What a great service and good for you for volunteering your time. When I first retired I trained as a guide for the blind and did a lot of work taking blind clients to a variety of activities. However, with the grandchildren I could no longer commit to the hours needed. Now I lead walks for the U3A so I suppose that could be called voluntary work.
PS Re your question about taking photos. Yes, occasionally people do ask and when I start to explain I think they wish they had never asked! I always avoid taking photos of people though.