Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Morning Walk

Though the temps were below 40º,  there was no wind and despite the clouds, no rain.  A good morning for a walk around Wilde Lake as seen here from our 11th floor apartment on an icy morning (not today).




On the dam were two birds with long legs.  From a distance I saw them tangle with each other and one chose to land away from the one there first.



I frequently see heron fly past our windows with their long legs trailing.


I was confuse.d at first whether these were great blues,  but after checking the bird books they were. One was in a crouch making it look more compact.



At the opposite end of the lake herons perch on little manmade islands.





There is a heron rookery in the other direction.  I'll have to visit that again this spring.


5 comments:

Elaine said...

The cold really comes through those beautiful photographs! I am rather fond of herons, especially when they stand around looking as though they are hunched down into their coat collar, hands in their pockets. I hope your weather warms up soon.

Tom said...

...herons are alway a wonderful sight.

Bonnie K said...

Poor birds! It sure looks cold. I love herons, but that is probably because I don't have a pond. Great photos. Thanks for sharing and stay warm.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Heron in the Uk start nesting in February an I wonder is it the same with you?Lovely shots.

Kay said...

I must say, you guys are really being hit by cold weather and snow this year.