Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tuesday's Treasures #4


This photo is of my maternal grandmother canning peaches.  The photo was taken and featured in a news article in Lancaster, PA sometime in the early 50s.  I don't know how my mother came to have an 8x10 of it.  Mom hung the photo in her kitchen where ever home was at the time.  The last time was in their cottage at Penn Hall part of MennoHaven Retirement Community in Chambersburg, PA.  

Mom had a list of her things and periodically would bring it out for us to pencil our name next to items we wanted.  This was one that I wanted and I even wrote my name on the back.  When Mom moved to assisted living 5 1/2 years after Dad died she didn't take it with her, so I brought it home along with other items she no longer had a need for.

It hangs in my kitchen now too.


When my daughters helped pack up Mom's belongings (and now I can't recall if this was with the move or after she died 4 months after her move), Emily came across the recipe for pie crust that Mom always used.  We assume the recipe came from her mother.  Mom had written the recipe out so Emily took that and with some photoshopping created this lovely tribute to her Grandma, my Mom.


It too hangs in my kitchen.



10 comments:

genie said...

I love these old photos. It is a miracle they survived and are still in you thankful hands. They look so special hanging there in the kitchen. Emily’s work with the recipe is really nice. It is wonderful that you get to see them every day.

genie said...

Marcia..To answer your question...none of my children seem to be particularly interested in genealogy or the old things I have, but my dear granddaughter, Eloise, will get them. I write about her all the time. She is an extension of me...we have the same personalities and love the same things so I will give her all of them packed up in a special dos with a letter explaining everything in it when I feel like I am getting to the point where I need to start parting with the things that have meant so much to me. I am not at that point yet though am getting up there...will turn 77 this week. UGH! genie

Christine said...

Hello Marcia! What a lovely post about those family ties and treasures that most of us tidy away and forget to look at. You are so wise to hang them in full view in your kitchen to remember them each day!
BTW, those cookies look really yummy!
Christineandhercamera.blogspot.com

Tom said...

These personal treasures are the best kind, thanks for sharing them Marcia. Every summer I look forward to canning peaches and so do my grandkids. I'm looking forward the seeing your next treasure.

amanda said...

These are absolute treasures, Marcia.
I enjoyed reading about them very much and seeing the hanging in your beautiful kitchen!

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the treasures you shared with us, Marcia! I wish I had some good photos of my grandma in her kitchen. She made marvelous miracles happen in there! It's so nice that you've incorporated those into your home.

You asked about the newspaper clipping in my blog post this morning. My husband is a contractor and he was working in a building that was going to be torn down. He found the old newspapers in the attic.

Rose said...

I tell you this week has had some of the greatest Treasures...I have enjoyed everyone I have visited so far, and really love this one. I hope you have daughters or granddaughters who will hang on to these long after you are gone.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Those are lovely tributes to your Mother and Grandmother! They are irreplaceable treasures!

Dawn Y. said...

Such beautiful family treasures... tied with heartstrings! It is so wonderful that they have a place of honor in your kitchen now, Marcia!
♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Tony McGurk said...

Definitely a great family treasure to have & wonderful mementos of your Mum & Gran