Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Harvest Monday - Green is the Theme

Welcome to my Harvest Monday post. Green continues to be the theme of what I harvest.
Here's the last of the spinach. It has been a prolific producer especially the planting from the fall. I think I will plant more in the fall so I'll have an even bigger harvest in spring 2012. The spring planting didn't grow as well and it was the same variety, too.


Lettuce is doing well, too and I will continue to harvest the bib and baby leaf lettuce.


My onions are slowly being thinned. Here are some I pulled for a stir fry.


Saturday I planted 3 cubanelle, and 3 new ace peppers and 3 eggplants in what was the lettuce and spinach bed. To do it I pulled the straggling spring planted spinach and transplanted the baby leaf lettuce. Wilderness at Growing and Cooking suggested I spray the leaves with a mix of 1 T. epsom salts to 1 gal. of water which I did. She said the peppers would green up and I'd save the flowers.


So here's the promise of things to come: a cubanelle pepper,


eggplant,


a new ace pepper,


zucchini,


more zucchini (these were transplanted into the mound where the first batch didn't germinate),


sweet 100 cherry tomato,


string beans,


tomatoes!


See what others have harvested by going to Daphne's Dandelions - the host of Harvest Monday.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting on the spray for your peppers; I will have to remember that one. Ours need help from time to time around our area!

Emily said...

All that spinach looks great. So do all the blossoms on the summer veggies.

Barbie~ said...

Aww. Aren't itty bitty peppers just the cutest things? Your spinach looks great, too.

Daphne Gould said...

I find the fall planted spinach is more productive too. I want to plant a lot more next fall as it ends up being one of the earliest greens.

floweringmama said...

Oh You are weeks ahead of us. We just planted yesterday. Kentucky has had soooo much rain it's unbelievable.

Enjoy your goodies!

floweringmama said...

Oh You are weeks ahead of us. We just planted yesterday. Kentucky has had soooo much rain it's unbelievable.

Enjoy your goodies!

wilderness said...

Marcia things are sure looking good. I actually put epsom salts in the whole when I plant peppers and tomatoes. They need the magnesium. Spraying them is an old greenhouse trick when the weather was against anything being green like this year but also beneficial.

HolleyGarden said...

I can't believe you're still getting spinach! Mine went to see long ago. Enjoy it!

Robin said...

I have spinach envy!