Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, September 6, 2026

News from Here

Leaves are changing here.  One of our maples is showing fall colors in sections.
Here's looking east.


Here's looking west at the same tree.



This maple on the Meeting House Green has been turning since August.


Our new library is making good progress.


The green fencing between us came down on Friday.  We look at the community room which will have a patio on the right side.  We will have to decide once they landscape whether we need any shrubs between us.



Fall flowers still in bloom.  This Black Cohosh is so fragrant.


Sedums are such beauties this time of year.



Dahlias will bloom until frost.


One of only a couple of sunflowers I planted.


Goldenrod is everywhere.


View of the mountain behind us.


Touches of color showing there too.


A new angel in the garden purchased at an estate sale.


On the front porch only three plants remain to be brought inside.  Some of the ones I had out here are now just on the outer side of the window.  I figured they liked the east exposure.





My Kings Day sign is still in the guest room window facing the street.  NH primary is on Tuesday. I'll be serving as a ballot clerk for the morning shift.


I gave this shutter pumpkin a fresh coat of paint on Friday.  


Saturday we went to Patch Orchard to get apples for an apple pie I'm making to take to friends in Massachusetts this week.  We always love the view from this orchard.



Besides apples I came home with two of these pots of mums.


Looking forward to a cookout and bonfire with Emily and family Sunday, and getting together Wednesday with friends we made on our Greek cruise in April.

 

10 comments:

Acorn Hollow said...

Our colors are changing here too. I think early foliage. Pretty library and very close.
Cathy

Tom said...

...the plant on the right side of yellow bence appears to be a ZZ plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia), it need a hair cut. Let the cut ends callus over for a few hours. Place the cut end in a glass of room-temperature water, ensuring the lower node is submerged. Change the water every week. Or dip the cut end in rooting hormone and plant it directly into a well-draining potting mix.

Marcia said...

It is a ZZ plant, Tom, that I'm not sure what I want to do with. It's probably root bound in that pot but I don't want to move it to a bigger pot. May just lift it out and trim the roots.

Barbara Rogers said...

It seems to be an early fall for you all. ENjoy!

Vicki Lane said...

How wonderful to have a library next door!

Vicki Lane said...

How wonderful to have a library next door!

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely post Marcia. The tour around your garden was very enjoyable. I loved how you painted the stool the same color as your home, and the shutter pumpkin was adorable. Pros and cons on your new library I'm sure. I hope you will find more pros than anything else. Good for you for being a ballot clerk, loudly applauding. Enjoy the time with your family and friends.

Miss Merry said...

You live next door to a library? Oh my gosh, I am so jealous!!!! What a dream location! Fabulous! I never even thought such a thing was a possibility. Next door to a library! I am going to have to talk about this with my husband.
I am also obsessing on your "morning shift" as a poll worker. Here in my area poll worker is an all day gig. We start at 4:30/5 am setting up our location and I am stuck there until the polls close at 7;30 p.m. I work at the table that feeds your completed ballots into a scanner. I have to shut down the computers in our two scanners and go through a whole folder of procedures, printing reports, locking the scanned ballots in boxes, removing the flash drives and putting everything in the proper security envelopes. No one can leave the room until I am finished. Their jobs do not take as long as mine so I have an audience as well as a co-worker from the other party. I say every election is my last because of the long hours - I don't get home until 8:30 or 9 pm. Dividing the day into 2 shifts would be wonderful!

Anvilcloud said...

You remind me that I photographed a changing tree across the river. I probably still have it somewhere along with a hundred others. 🙂

Tom said...

...most house plants are best a bit pot bound. I have a couple old bread knives that I use to trim roots.