Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, March 4, 2024

Maple Syrup TIme

 Sunday we gathered around daughter and son in law's fire where they were boiling sugar maple sap they'd collected last week and will continue to collect this week.

We brought some leftover key lime pie to share and I used the sap to make myself some tea - a bit too sweet.

Later that day some of thier friends stopped by with kids and the gathering continued while the kids played.

A great Sunday afternoon in early Spring.

Below and above Emily is skimming off the froth.  As the sap boils down they keep adding more from those orange buckets.



10 comments:

Tom said...

...when you are young this looks like fun, to me it looks like work.

Anvilcloud said...

Our maple syrup places are open. I am looking forward to getting to our fave for pancakes.

Kay said...

Gosh! This looks like a LOT of work! But what fun!!!

Vicki Lane said...

I love seeing the old ways carried on.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good for them doing it themselves!

Fun60 said...

That's the first time I've seen anyone preparing maple syrup.

stardust said...


Looks like a nice family/friend time with tradition. I’ve heard about maple sugaring and boiling to cook foods from my Canadian friend, but didn’t know there are sugar maples in New Hampshire (like many other Japanese.) Autumn foliage must be spectacular.
Yoko

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Maple syrup is one of the world’s great foods, and enjoyed by even simple folk, who given their druthers would probably choose it over caviar anyway.,

acorn hollow said...

Yes it is full boil around here friends of ours boil every year. I am thankful to get a quart each year for our friendship
Cathy

Faith said...

YUMMY!!! My brother in law who lives in the woods (Literally) with my sister Hope in central NYS does this...he just started a couple years ago. He gave us a jar of it for Xmas...SO good. I like a drizzle of pure maple syrup in my coffee. Yes i'm an Adirondack girl. :)