Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Flail

 Looking for something to post, I came upon the photos I had taken of a farming implement at the Thomas T. Taber Museum of the Historical Society of Williamsport, PA.  We visited there at the end of October.

In a room with lots of old time stuff I saw the flail.  We have one of these that we found in the barn.  We never really knew what it was for until a neighbor in town described how it was used.  He didn't put a name to it though.




I have no idea how old ours is but I can't imagine it was in use in the 20th century.  I don't have a photo of ours and it's cold, wet and dark outside as I write this so you'll just have to believe me that ours looks just like the one hanging there.  Two rods fastened together with a leather thong (I don't think ours is eel skin), with one rod shorter than the other.

I plan to print up the description and mount it next to the flail so others will now know what it is.




7 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think they are very good for getting recalcitrant husbands to behave too!

Tom said...

...I believe you!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Interesting. I had no idea. I have seen a tool like that in a museum somewhere, but didn't know anything about it. I learned a little history this morning. Have a good day and I will see you again soon!

acorn hollow said...

I have never seen one my grandparents had a small farm but I never saw that.
Cathy

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for the explanation with the little picture. Looks like hard work!

Anvilcloud said...

We “flail away” at things. It’s an expression, and this puts it into context. It was a strenuous exercise.

Cynthia said...

Can you imagine how much energy it would take to “flail away” with that thing? It doesn’t seem very energy efficient.