Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, December 16, 2022

My Book Stack

 I don't usually have so many books in my stack to read, but with the slower days of winter ahead and not much on the calendar for the rest of the month, I think reading will be my activity of choice.



Currently reading this one I picked up at the library for Dan but he had already read this one by Nathaniel Philbrick.   I've read two others by him in years past - Mayflower and In the Heart of the Sea - and enjoyed both of them.  It's a nice change from the murder mystery authors I've latched on to: Ruth Rendell and Kathy Reichs.

In the stack a reread from years and years ago: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.  I read The Moonstone by him this past year.  Another re-read or skim will be The Lost Man for the January book discussion at the library.


What are you reading?

8:30 AM Addendum

We have snow today - all day!


Maybe 3 inches already.




8 comments:

Tom said...

...wrap up in a blanket and read.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I am reading the newest book by Anthony Horowitz, The Twist of the Knife, which is the fourth one in his Hawthorne & Horowitz series. I recently listened to or read the previous 3 books and wojld highly recommend all.

acorn hollow said...

I have read through a couple of the crazy Christmas novels but at least it is reading. I just picked up a Louise Penny book I had dropped off reading her I just had had my fill so glad to get back to her.
happy reading
Cathy

Anvilcloud said...

I might be interested in the series that Beatrice mentioned. I am getting a sample from the first book.

Barbara Rogers said...

I had two books on hold, and checked out one (audio) which was a collection of short stories. I enjoyed the first story, then about 2 minutes into the second I realized these all would be on the theme of "after the plague." No thanks. Just too close to home. I postponed the other book to let someone else read it, and am waiting for it now. But I'll certainly add your recommendations to my list.

Faith said...

I LOVE reading. We have the Mayflower book but not the one you picture.
I'm currently reading a non fiction book for hikers, a fiction book titled We begin at the End (EXCELLENT) and an Advent devotional book. Our small group study book What's So Amazing About Grace will be picked up again after the holiday season.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have those two Philbrick books you have read, Mayflower and In the Heart of the Sea. I have wondered about Travels with George. I may see if the library has it. Right now I am read Christmas in New York by Anne Perry and a nonfiction about parenting young adults called Failure to Launch, which is excellent. I am just finishing up the audiobook of C.S. Lewis' book The Screwtape Letters. You have some good reading going on for sure. I hope you have a nice cozy weekend!

Cynthia said...

I’ve managed to accumulate 25 books ahead on my Kindle! I finished The Gift of Years a week ago (marvelously inspiring by the way) over a week ago and haven’t had time to start another. Probably won’t until after Christmas.