Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Maine Trip - Height of Land

 After having met up with some through hikers of the Appalachian Trail at our stay in Bethel, we became very aware of places where our journey crossed the AT.  I had also checked out from the library Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods" (his experiences hiking the AT).  We decided not to listen from the beginning but selected the last two disks which featured his hiking in VT, NH and Maine. [If you haven't read the book, it's worth getting a copy to read or listen to.]

With that intro, we came upon the AT again at an expansive overlook - Height of Land.  Located on the Rangeley Lakes Scenic Byway it gives you a view of several interconnected lakes, one of which Mooselookmeguntic Lake - is a mouthful to pronounce.



It was a gray rain on and off day so the spectacular views west to the White Mountains were not for us to see.  It still was a beautiful overlook.



Not sure what was being memorialized at the base of this tree.  May have had something to do with the AT.  We did see a lone hiker in the parking lot and I overheard him making a call for a shuttle pick up.


Couldn't decide on one picture of the lakes so included several.







Back in the car, and our journey continues listening all the while about Bryson's AT experience.

5 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I love Bill Bryson's books. He's written several about the UK, notably "Notes from a Small Island". I like the ones he has recorded himself better than those read by others.

Tom said...

...a beautiful area even on a gray rainy day.

Anvilcloud said...

Oh. that book was so funny. You might have missed the best parts although I can't remember for sure.

Barbara Rogers said...

I loved that book, just reading the paperback edition which was borrowed. I think it was the funniest of the several others I tried of his. Such a beautiful lake view, and I liked your last shot best. It is worth hanging on a wall, IMHO.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You did get some amazing photos of the lake! I read that book and Grandma Gatewoods Walk...it was even better! What a beautiful time of year to travel into the NE! We have made lots of trips to NY in the Fall over the years and have such good memories.