Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

Do You Know What This Is?

 
See that wooden contraption above to the left of the window?

Below its in the rec room loft.




I looked up sledge on the internet and found this.


They called it a snow shovel - 19th century style.
We really don't know what to do with it.

Any suggestions?




10 comments:

Tom said...

...it looks like a snow scoop to me. You push it like a plow and then turn it over to dump the snow

Anvilcloud said...

Well, I was thinking of snow shovel. I used to have one -- smaller and metal of course. That would have been a big and heavy thing to move.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh I love it! It looks great just leaning against the wall if you have the room!

Nan said...

We used to have something like this to shovel our tarred driveway in the 1970s, so not too old-fashioned!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You might try to find out a bit more about it, Marcia, particularly its age since it was in the barn it may have a value to an antiques collector or you may want to paint a winter scene on it and keep it around as a deco?

Margaret said...

Make it into a planter?

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I like it just the way it is, maybe add a few potted plant in front of it for a bit of colour. It wouldn't be much use here as we never seem to get any amount of snow these days.

Cynthia said...

Leaning against the wall or hanging (though that might be difficult) in the barn, or against the tree with a planter in front of it. We have those in Minnesota and we always called our the snow scoop. I can’t imagine tilting that wooden one up to dump the snow or even pushing it! Ours was made of lightweight aluminum.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Have you checked whether a local museum might be interested in it?

Kay said...

Goodness gracious! That is HUGE!