Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

PostScript

I spoke to daughter Emily about New Hampshire etiquette for putting things out on the roadside free for the taking.

She said that we didn't do anything wrong.  If someone had really wanted something but couldn't haul it then they should have asked us to set it aside off the street. 

It's there for whoever is there to take it at the time.  I guess that's why the woman didn't get mad with me on the phone.

 

4 comments:

Tom said...

...amen.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've noticed that free things don't seem as "demanding of attention" as things that we pay for...and have run into that sense that "I said I'd come get it that day, but I had more important things to do first." You certainly made the right decision.

Margaret said...

I think etiquette is that if the person who wants it doesn't come get it when arranged that it goes to the next person. It's that way on my local Buy Nothing website, the internet version of leaving something free by the side of the road.

Kay said...

No kidding!