Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, January 4, 2021

Books Read

 You'd think with all the quarantining that 2020 would have been a banner year for reading.  Not the case. I only read 64 books whereas 2019 was 79 and 2018 was 81.  I think I can explain this because library books were harder to come by, I did a lot of jigsaw puzzles in the first several months of our lock down at Vantage House, and I just got turned off by some of the books I started and just couldn't stomach.  Those don't get added to my list even if I read the ends before giving up on them. 

So I just posted the last 7 books I read to my list here.  Of these I'd recommend the latest Louise Penny book but only if you've read the others in her series.  If you haven't read her then start with her first one. Well worth it if you like mysteries.  

I'd also recommend The Nickel Boys for a picture of what racism has been like and likely continues in this form.  For lighter reading the historical fiction The Two Mrs. Carlyles is good.

What am I reading now?  I started In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larsen, a narrative non-fiction about the U.S. Ambassador to Germany in 1933.  It's well written but it's not comfortable reading in light of who we still are trying to extricate ourselves from in the form of tRump.  I see too many parallels between Hitler and tRump and Hitler's minions and tRumps kowtowing senators.  Maybe I'll get back to it after January 6th or 20th.   (Thanks to Marcia LaRue for pointing out my error.) It's the February selection for my book group.



So you probably noticed the photos had nothing to do with my content.  I  am so looking forward to being able to travel again so I went into my photo files and brought up some photos from a trip to Europe some years ago.


11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I have read/heard all of the Penny books but the last. We do have it in audio form, and I guess that I will get to it at some point. Possibly the series is running out of steam for me although I have been very keen in the past.

Barbara Rogers said...

I liked the last Penny book, better than some of the earlier ones. Glad to have the ending it did! My book taste has wobbled all over also...from non-fiction, dealing with environmental and racism issues, to many many light "who done its." I tend to read on my mini-iPad, either audio or "printed web" from our library system. Except for latest publications, which I do purchase if the author is a favorite. I'm lucky to have friends who read a lot who loan books, and/or make recommendations. I wish I had some puzzles to do. For a break I find myself playing solitaire often. I'm also expanding my music appreciation by listening to jazz on YouTube. It seems upbeat, which I need. Onward to more days of isolation and wearing masks!

Marcia LaRue said...

I daresay ... you probably meant "January 6th and 20th" rather then December 6th and 20th! We do NOT want to go back there ... EVER!!
Every morning I turn on MSNBC with a dread of "... what's he done now?" In fact, I've had that dread for the past 4 years ... he's really stepped in it now with that call to Georgia! Holy Cow Crap!! If he doesn't spend the rest of his miserable life in prison ... then there really is something wrong with this country!!
Anyway ... HAPPY NEW YEAR ... we must continue to HOPE for the best!!

Margaret said...

"Nickel Boys" was excellent and a great discussion book for Book Club. The Penny book was good, but like AC, I think she's running out of steam with her characters. I've been reading more but less variety than normal. (probably because my BC has been on a hiatus)

Stewart M said...

I was like you, and was surprised that I did not read more books in 2020 - I think I spent a lot of time hidden under the bead clothes!

Hope all is well.

Stewart M - Melbourne

Bonnie K said...

We have had the same problem. I would let our library know what we wanted to read, but they would forget to tell me when the books were ready. Finally, I stopped asking.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Last year, seems odd saying that already, was the first year that I actually tracked the number of books read or listened too, Marcia, and was surprised that my total was 60. While I have always been a reader, perhaps less avidly than many others, this total actually amazed me. All the books were from the local library as downloads, e-books and audio books and surprisingly by many authors new to me. I have never read any of the Louise Penny books, but have read many of Donna Leon’s series set in Venice. My only disappointment with our library was that it did not have some books recommended by fellow bloggers. I have started 2021 by reading The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths and listening to The Finder of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. I am a fan of Erik Larson and read The Splendid and the Vile last year, but have not read the one you referred to in your post, and most likely will not in future.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love to read and I'll look for some of the books you've mentioned and others in the comments! Happy New year!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

PS I LOVE Louise Penny and the series she writes! It's one of the very best! Hugs!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I don't keep track of books as I read them, but it seems that I have read more than usual during COVID. I too see startling and disturbing similarities between Trump and Hitler. Thank goodness he will soon be gone. I just hope the media then starts to ignore him and not give him the attention he craves.

carol l mckenna said...

Reading books is like having a friend with you ~ never lonely ~ despite the Covid ~ Happy Reading ~ ^_^

Try sauntering through the day ~ what do you notice?

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)