Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, January 2, 2021

The View from Here

 I will always think of 2021 as the year we settled into living at this old house.  Though move in was in December, January is really the month it will feel like our home.

Here are a few photos of that I see every day now.

The view from the windows near my desk.


Our barn out back.


The field and mountain behind us.  We still have snow because its mostly shaded all day.


One daughter gave me a bird feeder for my birthday and the other daughter gave me one for Christmas. We bought the tallest hook at Home Depot which had two hooks before I got the second feeder.  What a premonition!





Looking at the house from the deck. The oldest part on the right was once a post office we've recently learned from the previous owner.  She said there was once signage in the cellar.  Our son in law happened upon a map and we could locate our house labeled post office and store, too.  One day we'll get to the historical society to learn more.

The back part of the house was a barn.  It may have been converted to living space at some point but in 1992 the previous owner gutted it and renovated it.  Now it's a great room.



The beams from when it was a barn are still visible.  The doorway on the left goes into the older part.


I love these steps to our second floor - master bedroom, bathroom and Dan's study are up there.


Here's the front part of that room.  My desk is behind me and not visible.  There's a guest room with another bath to the right.  Again the original beams are still visible. 


In the house we built in 2005 and sold in 2016 we had old timbers and lots of windows.  I think that's why this house appealed to us so much.
 Here is that house:








9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Both houses are mansions, comparatively speaking.

Tom said...

...you have comfortable surroundings to enjoy in the new year.

tahoegirl.blog said...

Wow, That is a very beautiful house. having grown up in New York and then traveling around the East, your house and barn and fields bring up lots of old memories.

Cynthia said...

I just love your new house and also the views from it! I can see why you love living there. It must have been hard to leave the beautiful one you built in 2005. Wishing you both a happy, healthy New Year!

Margaret said...

What a gorgeous house and locale!

Buttercup said...

Both houses are fabulous. Every good wish for 2021 in your beautiful new home.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love the new (old) house...that it has a history makes it part of New England. And great to have a barn, as well as wonderful windows. I'm sure you'll enjoy settling in and making it yours.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You have lived in a couple of very appealing homes.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, I read your posts --but don't have time to always comment... I'm so happy for you two. Your lives are amazing --and I always enjoy reading about your home/homes through the years --and your wonderful family...

George and I are fine and got the first (of two) Covid Vaccines last Saturday... We've been lucky to have escaped the virus since it has been all around us for the past several months... My son and his gal both had Covid --and Robin especially had a rough time with it. But both are fine now.

We are glad that 2020 is over --but it seems as if the Covid Virus will be here at least through Spring --or longer... SO---good luck to all of us in 2021.

Keep in touch... I'll try to do better with the communicating.
Hugs,
Betsy