Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Venturing to Vermont

 Last weekend we had lunch out in Vermont.  Being on the western edge of New Hampshire we are right next door to Vermont.  Recently we learned that the two states are referred to as the Twin States but as a realtor told us the feel of the states is very different.  As far as we're concerned the look of the states is very similar: rural and full of mountains and valleys and white churches.

The reason for lunch was at the suggestion of daughter Emily.  She sent us a link to her local newsletter that said a BBQ favorite of the Cornish Fair, that didn't happen this year, is parked on the Tunbridge, VT fairgrounds through the end of October.  Open weekends!  We really like BBQ so we went to investigate the English BBQ.

English because the proprietors are English.  Their BBQ is pure American.


They are the only thing happening at the fairground!


I had a BBQ sundae.  Baked beans, potatoes, BBQ pork and BBQ sauce.  It was delicious. The pink background is the picnic table.


After lunch we moseyed home stopping at some historical markers.  This first one was buried in the trees..


Across the street was the war memorial.










Here's the meadow referred to in the historical marker.


This marker was on the main road so we took a left to drive back to the birthplace.


Definitely some money was spent to mark this spot.


Tree colors are changing each day. The green of the trees above are now likely yellows, oranges and reds a week later.  Here are some trees yesterday.



I'd love to share the view from my window but photos through the screen can't capture the array of color.




12 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You live in a beautiful area, and that barn is wonderful.

tahoegirl.blog said...

Lovely pictures. I just found your blog and enjoyed seeing the new England pictures. I'm originally form NY but now am almost a life long Californian. I'm quite curious why you moved to new Hampshire from Maryland? What about the winters? Just curious. I'm with you on voting trump out. is the area you're in liberal?

Tom said...

...In my mind it's hard to beat the northeast!

Margaret said...

Beautiful photos and sights. I love covered bridges! I haven't been in either state, and probably never will be unless one of my daughters moves there. So, it's wonderful to see what it looks like. Why are the two states different? I'm curious about their different feel.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely photos today...I lived in CT for a few years, and think fall is the prettiest part of the year. Now in NC and I still think that.

Nan said...

I think you'd have to live here for a while to see the differences. One isn't 'better' than another, but they aren't the same. I was born in Vermont, but moved across the river when I was four months old.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Your Autumn Colors are MARVELOUS already.... I'm waiting (not so patiently) for some color around here.... This week, we are supposed to get some really cold weather --so hopefully, that will help get our colors to change.

One year (many moons ago), my high school friends and I were visiting one of the gal's sisters near Boston. One of those days, we took a ride --and since I wanted to say that I had been to Vermont, we crossed a VERY LONG covered bridge and drove into Vermont.... That was my only experience of being in Vermont.... (Still haven't been to New Hampshire)...

Have a great week.
Hugs,
Betsy

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful photos and great commentary.
I've only been in the area one time way back when and Maine and New Hampshire, once you got a mile from the ocean, reminded me a lot of Arkansas. Now, I like Arkansas and I am not trying to put anything down, but that was my feeling.

New England is very special and I would love to go back.

Kudos to you for making a move so late in life. We have to be adaptable.

Fun60 said...

Love the photos. Brought back memories of a trip I did in 2017.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

What a beautiful outing. The BBQ looks yummy. The fall colors are gorgeous. I love the barn and covered bridge, pretty scenes and photos.
Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great week ahead.

Elena Alice said...

So much autumnal beauty in this post, from the barn to all the colorful foliage!

Here is my recent travel post, if interested! https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2020/09/travel-tuesday-roman-forum-and-colosseum.html

betty-NZ said...

I have always heard that your part of the world is beautiful and now I have proof! What wonderful, rural scenery and BBQ, too!


Feel free to share at My Corner of the World