Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Our European Vacation

I'm going back in time to repost blogs from my past. 
This one appeared four years ago today.

Part I: Helsinki, Finland

On June 1st we left the USA for Europe.  First stop - Helsinki, Finland.  My sister in law is from there and she and my brother arrived several days before us to stay in a Flip Key rental apartment.  We joined them on the morning of the 2nd after arriving by Icelandair.  To make sure we adjusted to the time change we set off to see the city right away.

Here are some highlights from the first day.


Starting off on our walk.  My sister in law in the brown, her brother and sister in law in front of her, my brother looking back at me, and my husband, Dan in the striped shirt.


The apartment we rented is in that yellow building on the second floor overlooking the street.


Access to the apartment was by this circular stairs or this elevator.  Dan loved using it.




Walking to the downtown was very easy from the apartment.  We walked past this park every time which commemorated the deaths of victims of the plague.

The city is a mix of old and new.



This window display of succulents and cacti was really striking.


The promenade was in the heart of the city and always filled with people.  We brought warm weather and being so far north days were very long.



The birds fought over this perch on top of this statue.



Never seen this sort of store in the states.






More to come.  Stop by again.

4 comments:

Tom said...

What fabulous architectural details Marcia. I'm sure that you had a wonderful time, can't wait to see more.

Unknown said...

Fabulous images! It's fun to see our capital through your eyes.

Cranberry Morning said...

Great photos. I especially liked the bird-topped statue. What fun! Thank you for stopping in yesterday. I hope you have a good move to NH and that the winter isn't too brutal. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Marcia, thanks for the comment you left on my blog post today about historic homes we explored in Nashua. To answer a couple of your questions, I don't believe there has been a holiday tour where these homes were open. And the mill apt we live in has LOTS of windows and very tall ones across the back of the apt. We have great views of the Nashua River from our 5th floor apt.