Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, November 25, 2018

U.S. Botanic Gardens

On Friday after Thanksgiving we joined daughter Sarah, son in law William and granddaughter on a subway ride into downtown Washington, DC.


Sarah had read there was a model train exhibit at the Botanic Gardens which is on the National Mall near the Capitol.


Lots of others had read the same thing and the line was incredibly long for such a very cold morning.


We opted to just visit the gardens inside and skip the train exhibit which was accessed through another door.  We did see one model train (above) at the entrance.


Inside was all decked out in holiday plantings.
"Seasons Greenings" they called it.


Christmas trees with coconut trees towering over them.



And everywhere these models of Washington landmarks.  Above Supreme Court.


Union Station


Library of Congress


Botanic Gardens


We wandered through different ecosystems.







The White House


Washington Monument


Smithsonian Castle


Jefferson Memorial.
When we saw this one a light bulb went off in our heads.  The dome is a gourd.

All these models were built with plant materials - 70 different ones the brochure told us.  The Capitol took more than 600 hours to build.


Lincoln Memorial with columns made of branches.  Also used: seagrape leaves, eucalyptus leaves, birch bark, corn husks, lichens, willow sticks (maybe those were the columns), coriander seeds, burl oak, kangaroo pods, wheat, sisal rope, pine cones scales and lots more.


10 comments:

Tom said...

...WOW, what a design. I haven't been there in years. Thanks for taking me along.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW That is wonderful.

Fun60 said...

Some very talented people you have there, creating those masterpieces.

Jim said...

These are amazing.

Tom said...

...the gardens are a national treasure! Thanks for stopping by, Marcia.

Lea said...

What a wonderful place!
I tried to ignore all the Christmas décor before Thanksgiving, but now I am ready to enjoy it.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I live in Maryland all my life and have never visited. I must go, your photos are lovely. I like all the Christmas decor and the poinsettias. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

Cynthia said...

What a find! That's a pretty unique Christmas exhibit, and to think you might have missed it if the train line had been shorter. Thanks for sharing.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Amazing! Until I read the buildings were made out of plant materials, I wondered why they were made of that color.

CountryMum said...

The models are incredible!
Greetings from Australia