Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

No Guns in the Classrooms

As a former teacher, the idea of arming teachers is preposterous!

No one should be even considering putting guns in classrooms.

Change.org has a petition that you need to sign.


And thank you!

As reported by The New York Times, education secretary Besty DeVos is considering awarding federally funded grants to buy guns for schoolteachers as a way to prevent school shootings.

DeVos’ plan represents a radical shift in education policy that for years has taken the position that the federal government should not fund weapons procurement for schools. It ignores Congressional mandates that expressly prohibit using federal taxpayer dollars to buy guns.
 
In a cynical ploy to circumvent the prohibition of funding school weapons purchases, DeVos is contemplating raiding the Student Support and Academic Enrichment program to buy guns. Arming teachers is not the way to support students or enrich their academic experience. 
 
Arming teachers is a misguided policy that substitutes NRA rhetoric about “good guys with guns" for rational solutions to prevent gun violence in schools. Educational advocacy organizations, law enforcement experts, parents and teachers themselves roundly oppose the strategy of turning educators into armed security guards.
  
In her letter to President Trump, Randi Weingarten, president of the 1.7 million member American Federation of Teachers wrote, “The response we have heard is universal, most notably from educators who are gun owners, military veterans and National Rifle Association members: Teachers don’t want to be armed; we want to teach.” In a recent survey conducted by the NEA, 82 percent of their members said they would not carry a gun in school. Two-thirds of educators who own guns would not consider carrying a firearm on school property, and two-thirds also said they would feel less safe with armed teachers in their school.
 
The voices of those who know best overwhelmingly oppose arming teachers. Tell Besty DeVos to listen to them and drop all considerations of using taxpayer funds to arm educators.

6 comments:

Elaine said...

I know I shouldn't comment, this doesn't refer to my country, but guns in the classroom seems utter madness to me. (Sorry, I have just deleted the main part of the comment, this is the very short version. Not my place to have a rant.)

Marcia said...

Elaine, your rant would've been fine by me. You have a way with words .

Kay said...

Absolutely TOTALLY crazy. I’m a retired teacher too and I know guns DO NOT BELONG in classrooms! This is madness.

Tom said...

...guns in classrooms, what a dumb idea.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Guns is the classrom is just asking for BIG trouble It is rediculous to even think about teachers having guns

Fun60 said...

I was so shocked when I first heard this suggestion. As a retired teacher I am horrified that someone could even come up with this idea.