Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Turtles

Three trips to parks and three turtle sightings.

In June Dan and I visited Wye Island and I wrote about it here.

We saw this turtle crossing the road.  It wasn't bothered by my walking up to take its photo.  In fact it was quite speedy crossing.


On July 3 we had a walking trip from Vantage House courtesy of the Fitness staff to Quiet Waters Park outside Annapolis, MD.  We spotted this turtle along the path.


On Sunday, a lovely day to be out, we drove to Calvert Cliffs State Park, and hiked 3.6 miles round trip.  More on that hike to the Chesapeake Bay in another post.  Along the way we spotted these two turtles in the wetlands along the path.


I don't know how the turtle above climbed up that old stump which was several feet out of the water.  The one below was content to be half in and half out of the water on that lily pad.


So nice to see creatures in their natural habitat.  They don't have it easy.


6 comments:

Tom said...

...neat critters, I' haven't seem any this year. 😀

Silver in AZ said...

sweet turtles. Never saying nuthin, never bothering anyone...

Gosia said...

So huge we have smalller here in Europe

Elaine said...

Definitely one of the joys of retirement - we have time to stand and stare, to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of our world.

Fun60 said...

One of life's pleasures is to watch wildlife in its natural habitat.

Cynthia said...

There is something about turtles that draws me to them. I think because they seem prehistoric, a peek into long ago when big reptiles roamed the earth. I'm always rescuing them from roads and hoping they wise up and stay put!