Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, June 25, 2018

On a Wall

Last month we took Dan's mother out for lunch in Alexandria.  As we returned to our car I had to capture this wall mural.


In trying to find an explanation of this mural I came upon this article about the neighborhood in the Washington Post.

Doesn't it look like the horse and jockey are racing the engine?  
I found this explanation finally:
The historic Del Ray mural outside of Cheesetique on Mount Vernon Avenue shows imagery of the old Potomac Yard railway linking Alexandria to Washington, D.C. as well as the St. Asaph Racetrack.

There are many more murals in Delray, as I discovered in trying to find the above explanation.  Next time we're there I'll have to look for them.

By the way this is where we ate (Screen shot from internet).  It was delicious BBQ.  I had Dan bookmark it on the GPS.




7 comments:

Silver in AZ said...

I really like how they incorporated art deco style in the mural. Very stunning!

Fun60 said...

I like that mural, it makes you want to take a second look. In my post of the wedding the small flower girl is my granddaughter x

Penelope Postcards said...

It does seem as if the horse and rider are racing the train but the artist had deeper symbolism in mind. These wall murals are wonderful and hard work for the artists who must have physical stamina to paint on such large canvases.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a great mural. They do look like they are racing.
Enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Interesting.... Doesn't it feel good when you can research something and come up with an answer? NEAT.... Sometimes when we can't find answers, we just have to stay puzzled...

Hugs,
Betsy

Kay L. Davies said...

Aren't we fortunate tp have 'instant information' at our disposal? I, for one, am glad I don't have to look through huge volumes of an encyclopedia any more. My poor elderly hands can't do that any more.
I do like the mural, though.
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Tom said...

...and I wonder who won.