Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

BMA Exhibit by Stephen Towns

Last week was another trip to the Baltimore Museum of Art.

I won't share about our disappointments caused by our inexperienced Vantage House trip coordinator.  Needless to say there was no docent nor lunch reservation.

The exhibit most of us went right to was a small one focusing on the quilts by Stephen Towns.  

He trained as a painter and taught himself how to quilt to create some extraordinary quilts that are stories of our nation's slave history.

I've included all the labels with each quilt.










This flag was almost floor to ceiling.














It was interesting to look closely at these quilts.  Then it hit me how many times the same fabric was used for the sky, the clothing, and the scenery.  Doing that tied all the quilts together into one story.

The exhibit Stephen Towns: Rumination and a Reckoning runs through September 2, 2018.


3 comments:

Fun60 said...

Those quilts are magnificent and tell a story so well. Good idea to include the information. Pity the rest of your trip didn't go so well.

Tom said...

...extraordinary! I'll say.

Elaine said...

Now that is a quilt exhibition with a difference. There are some very powerful images, some will remain with me forever. Wonderful work.