Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Scotland: Stirling & William Wallace

To get to the Stirling Castle is quite a hike uphill if you've parked in one of the parking garages in town.


Don't you love that golden lion?


It was a wet day to start but soon cleared off.  Typical Scotland weather.






Outside the castle is Robert the Bruce looking to the William Wallace monument and site of Wallace's victory over the English at Stirling Bridge.



His monument is across the valley.


We swung by there after spending a good part of the day at the castle.  I was beat, the monument and visitor center were closed so I napped in the car while Dan hiked up the trail to see the monument close up.










He took photos of these interesting signs along the pathway on his way back down.





Last stop was the famous site of the Stirling Bridge where in 1297 William Wallace scored a victory over approaching English soldiers.










One more post on Stirling and the last on Scotland!



2 comments:

Tom said...

...with all that stone, things were built to last.

Sharon said...

I love the golden lion. I'm guessing he looks even more imposing in the rain. What a great place to explore in Scotland!