Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Magpie Murders

A big thank you to Nan at Letters from HillFarm for her 2017 book reading list.

In her post I came upon her recommendation of "Magpie Murders" by Anthony Horowitz.  The book sounded like something I'd like to read so I went to my local library website to reserve it.  I got an email the next day because copies were available on the shelf.

When I picked up the book I thought the author was familiar and sure enough I figured out why:  Foyle's War.  He was known to me because we were big fans of that PBS series; a mix of mystery and WW II history.  If you haven't seen it and you love mysteries in historical settings, look for it and start at the beginning.

So back to "Magpie Murders".  A mystery within a mystery.  Or another way - a book within a book. An unlikely detective - the editor.  Lots of red herrings.  Shades of Agatha Christie, in fact her grandson makes an appearance. 

Overall it was a great read and no I didn't figure it out.  But that's okay.  


3 comments:

Nan said...

SO happy you liked it! For me, it was a completely different reading experience.

Elaine said...

That sounds so intriguing that I shall add it to my library list, too.

Kay said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I've put the book on hold at our library overdrive. 45 people are ahead of me. They must have read your blog too.