Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Unusual Performance Art


Perspectives: Chiharu Shiota

On view: August 30, 2014–June 7, 2015
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
#perspectives
Japanese performance and installation artist Chiharu Shiota installs a monumental yet intimate work in the Sackler pavilion this summer. Haunted by the traces that the human body leaves behind, Shiota collects discarded shoes and notes to represent memories of lost individuals and past moments.
Shiota studied at Kyoto Seika University, Canberra School of Art, and Berlin University of the Arts with Marina Abramovic and Rebecca Horn. Her work has been presented at the Mattress Factory (Pittsburgh, 2013), Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (United Kingdom, 2012), National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo (2007), Neue Nationalgalerie (Berlin, 2006), and MoMA PS1 (New York City, 2003), as well as the Biennials in Venice, Fukuoka, and Yokohama. Born in Osaka, Japan, in 1972, Shiota currently lives and works in Berlin.
reprinted from asia.si.edu/perspectives

12 comments:

Fun60 said...

A very interesting installation. I would like to read some of those notes.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Interesting shot however because your text print colour is similar to the background, I could not read it and it was too small.

Marcia said...

Margaret - thanks for letting me know that the blurb on the art wasn't readable. I've reset it for white and I think that works better.

amanda said...

This is amazing!
The creative mind is a truly fascinating thing.

Marcia said...

The artist is now collecting keys for her next installation. There was a drop box to place them in.

carol l mckenna said...

Creative installation and great shot of it! Gorgeous red color!

Happy Week to you!
artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Modern Art can sure make one think. Very interesting installation.

colleen said...

I'm so happy to see this. I was in DC in September and wanted to go but we had little time and I didn't know where it was. We did see this: http://www.looseleafnotes.com/2014/10/read-all-about-it-hirshhorn-headlines-and-highlights/

you-wee because said...

Zalando onlie shoe shop??? ;-)
Interesting installation!

Anonymous said...

What a poignant installation.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I am glad there are people such as this artist who see things beyond what many of us cannot imagine.

Robyn said...

Very creative!Look forward to seeing the keys!